Monday, June 14, 2010

Camp Rocks!


Don't you wish we could still pack up for a few weeks and head off to camp? The heat and the bugs and the afternoon rain; these all make much more sense to me at camp.

I designed this camp stationery for a paper company a while ago. It's a little bit Lisa Frank I know, but who didn't love Lisa Frank binders in elementary school? It's not my typical style, but it was a fun project to work on, with a target audience of tween girls. The art director wanted me to use watercolor, with softer colors, but just out of curiosity I also did the piece with my painted paper collage style. Just one of the many occasions when I've found having to think about what will sell best disrupts the creative process. Anyway, I'd be curious to hear which one you like better, even though you're probably not a tween- watercolor or collage?

5 comments:

Caryn said...

Hm… I like them both a lot! I actually think the collage one would fit the "tween" style more since the watercolor one has a children's illustration. They are both lovely though!

(p.s. it should be "stationery" with an "e" when you are talking about paper products. "stationary" means immobile.)

Caryn said...

meant to say "has a children's illustration feel." Somehow "feel" got left off that comment. :)

Lesley said...

Thanks Caryn! I agree with you about the collage piece being more "tweenish," maybe has to do with the brighter colors? And, "e" for paper products, noted!

Anonymous said...

i like the second one best :) i think it is the collage piece. they are both great though!

Kathryn Howell said...

I do like the collage one the best, too! And I want to go back to camp, too, where the smell of bug spray is the perfume of the week.

Post a Comment