Thursday, July 21, 2011

peppering up some chalkboards

My work this summer has given me a little hiatus from working with scissors and glue. I miss paper! But, I've enjoyed returning to one of the first mediums I used as an artist, chalk pastels. They're so beautiful. I love the bright colors, of course, and using my now very calloused fingers to blend and smooth. It's the first time I've used these pastels on a chalkboard as opposed to paper, so there's much less tooth and lots more black coming through some of the more translucent colors. I'm learning to embrace the black and let it work as part of the designs, and learning to let go of some of my perfectionist tendencies- I think chalk is maybe the most impermanent medium out there. My deadline is to wrap these up before my belly starts smudging the chalkboard in front of me:)

I'll try to find some of the work I did in high school with chalk pastels to post for you soon. For now, here's some shots from my summer work thus far:

on my third set of pastels now:


wish I could collect the confetti chalk dust like I can my paper scraps:



this one is called "Ode to Dad":


getting ready to experiment with a fixative:


me at work- taken by an admirer I didn't know was there. I've had to get used to people watching me work as well this summer:


I'll post the next four soon! All of these chalkboards will be hanging in the dinning room at Aubrey's Restaurant in Cleveland, TN. Stop by if you happen to be driving through sometime. It's pretty much half way between Knoxville and Chattanooga. 

No comments:

Post a Comment