Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Monthly Bloom

July











"A garden is never so good as it will be next year." - Thomas Cooper

I like this approach to gardening as my mind is filled with ideas and to-do's for fall in our garden - transplant all the irises, again, transplant the hostas that are getting charred in the July sun, plant more perennials, plant some fruit trees, maybe another crepe myrtle and some dogwoods, redo my containers with cool season flowers, maybe even plant some cool season veggies... it's just too hot to get out and do much right now. 

It is something though to see all of our persistent flowers smiling in the sweltering heat and putting up quite a fight with the obstinate and very sturdy weeds growing next to them. I like their attitude in the midst of difficult circumstances. And you know what, they'll be back and even stronger and heartier next year. I will be too, when the next project comes along. Ah, the lessons learned observing in a garden, and taking on new projects. Hoping to finish one up this week. I know, I keep saying that don't I.

No comments:

Post a Comment