Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Monthly Bloom

I can't believe it's already April! Do you say that every month like I do? Well, we're playing a little catch up here at Peppered Paper. I've been keeping up with taking photos, but not much more on here. So, we'll do a little back posting, since just last month I introduced this new monthly series.

A few highlights from the March Monthly Bloom:

I discovered a new favorite in our backyard, quince. I didn't even know it's name before this month, but I filled several vases with this hot pink delicate looking flower. Many thanks to Laurence, who cleared out all the privet that was suffocating this beauty, knew it was worth salvaging, and knew it's name! Also, thanks to the neighbor for providing some forsythia to add to my arrangements:)




Another favorite- I think this is Autumn Joy stone-crop, I call it a sedum. I love it in every stage.


  Our Jasmine is bursting with yellow, twining it's way around one of our porch columns. 


 We harvested our first asparagus this year! It takes three years to establish, and I can't believe we've been gardening that long. 



We went shopping!


  Our peonies have buds!!! I transplanted these two years ago from a shady spot in the backyard. They can be finicky and didn't bloom last spring, so I'm thrilled to see those little buds!


 Jonquils, daffodils, and buttercups! Lots of these came inside for arrangements too.




  Old Tulips



  New Tulips (we need more tulips!)




 I planted these grape hyacinth in February. We've added a few bulbs each year thanks to the Pellissippi beautification project- they give away extras every year! (where the above tulips and daffodils are from)


  I didn't know how great hyacinths smelled before this month either. We don't have a ton in the yard, but a few came inside so we could enjoy them more. 


  Can't ignore how beautiful all the trees are now too.




 Definitely need to plant more dogwood trees in the front yard. 



2 comments:

jnny said...

this post makes me SO jealous! i want spring back! beautiful flowers and blooms :)

Lesley said...

but you can plant flowers and veggies almost year round in FL!!

Post a Comment