Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dreamy Quilts




A few of the Quilts of Gee's Bend are back in Knoxville! These are some of my favorite artists, and I've seen several museum exhibitions featuring their work. I'm not sure how many of the quilts will be at the Emporium, but they are beautiful to see hanging on a gallery wall and, dreamy to bundle up with at night. That's right, somehow my mom found a replica of a Gee's Bend quilt from Kathy Ireland's collection at K-mart a few years ago that's on our bed right now. I love it! However, I don't think any more have been produced lately; it might be kind of controversial? These few samples show the beautiful and sophisticated design that graces every quilt. All are made from used work clothes, worn out fabric, or salvaged scraps and each has such a unique expressive quality. I love the bright colors, though not all of them are as colorful, and I love that each quilt has it's own liveliness while reflecting a cohesive aesthetic, surely something only accomplished sitting around a quilting table.

The show is entitled "Re-Vision" and will be at the Emporium Center April 2nd-23rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment