Sunday, December 27, 2009

Winter Woods




I'm a warm weather girl no doubt, and this winter has certainly got me looking forward to spring- just a few months from now, right? But, I'm up for a hike any time of year. I especially like not having to worry about running into anything creepy or crawly this time of year. However, it seems as if the stillness of the woods in winter is so much more than hibernating creatures. It's such a modest season, not dramatic or showy, like fall and spring, or overly excited with a kind of nervous energy, like summer. The winter woods are calm and quite, stripped to the bare bones. There is a powerful beauty here; it is as if the woods are telling us to slow down and take a closer look, beyond the obvious vibrant fall leaves and delicate spring flowers. Subtle is the word I'm looking for in all of my musing, truly I am a Romantic at heart. So, back to the hike, I love the textures and pops of color and interesting curves and jagged edges that I found crunching through the leaves on this still December day.

No comments:

Post a Comment