Thursday, August 19, 2010

Summer Blues





Our summer is disappearing as fast as these blueberries did! And, I'm sad to say I didn't make a single cobbler with them. I did make one coffee cake, but most of these went into cereal or smoothies... such a summer delight! Anyway, before the heirloom pumpkins turn our kitchen orange, I thought I should post about our blueberry picking this July. In addition to our adventure in Halls at The Fruit and Berry Patch- see treasure map above, we harvested about 4 cups of blueberries in our own backyard from three little bushes lining the fence. We're hoping to add more fruit bushes and trees to our landscaping, but the blueberries are a beautiful low-maintenance addition, perfect for beginner edible landscapers like myself. We also planted two blackberry bushes but didn't have as much fruit from those as we hoped- maybe next year we'll have enough for my favorite mixed berry tart, a la Betty Crocker.

No comments:

Post a Comment